Jan 31, 2017
While the numbers are not confirmed, experts agree that divorce
rates among parents with special needs children is far higher than
the general population. And since single moms of special needs kids
have challenges and joys that other moms — single or
otherwise — do not.
Kim Thompson, a single mom of two boys, ages 7 and 13, ages who
lives in New York City, has struggled with her son's autism (and
other diagnosis's) first as a married mother, and now as a single,
divorced mom. Because of her younger son's special needs, she has
put her career on hold and cares for him fulltime at home. In this
touching episode, Kim and I discuss:
- The #1 challenge single moms of special needs children
- What dating is like as a mother of a disabled child. "I want to
feel like the amazing woman I am again!" Kim told me.
- How to be a supportive friend of a mom struggling with a
special needs kid.
- What it feels like when friends fade away because of your
- Why, 'Just hire child care' is the wrong thing to say.
- The thing that makes a single mom of special needs kid
feel most cared for.
- YOU think you don't get a break?!
- The financial realities of the situation — including
- How her son's disability contributed to her divorce.
- Kim's top advice for single moms with special needs
- How much Kim loves and DELIGHTS in her special needs