Oct 31, 2018
While the numbers are not confirmed, experts agree that divorce
rates among parents with special needs children is far higher than
the general population. And since single moms of special needs kids
have challenges and joys that other moms — single or
otherwise — do not.
Kim Thompson, a single mom of two boys, ages 7 and 13, ages who
lives in New York City, has struggled with her son's autism (and
other diagnoses) first as a married mother, and now as a single,
divorced mom. Because of her younger son's special needs, she has
put her career on hold and cares for him full-time at home.
Check out Kim's site: DearAutismMom.com
Related episode: Amy
Silverman on raising a child with Down syndrome
Kim and I discuss the challenges and wonders of parenting a
special needs kid as a single mom:
- The #1 challenge single moms of special needs children
- What dating is like as a mother of a disabled child. "I want to
feel like the amazing woman I am again!" Kim told me.
- How to be a supportive friend of a mom struggling with a
special needs kid.
- What it feels like when friends fade away because of your
- Why 'Just hire childcare' is the wrong thing to say.
- The thing that makes a single mom of special needs kid feel
most cared for.
- The financial realities of the situation — including
- How her son's disability contributed to her divorce.
- YOU think you don't get a break?!
- Kim's top advice for single moms with special needs
- How much Kim loves and DELIGHTS in her special needs kid.