Nov 15, 2017
For the past 10 years Free-Range Kids' Lenore Skenazy, New
York City journalist and mom of two, has been taking one for the
team. The Free-Range Kids author and blog founder has
been on a one-woman mission to give kids back the freedom and
autonomy they need to grow into self-actualized adults.
I can't get enough of every single thing she has to say,
including stats like:
- Crime is back to the level it was when gas cost 29
cents a gallon, says the
Christian Science Monitor.
- Crime is back to the level it was before color
The Week magazine.
- 2013 gun crime rate back to level of early
- 2014 violent crime rate down
- Pedestrian, bicyclist and car deaths ALSO at lowest
rate in decades, says The
Council on Foreign Relations.
- And here’s an overall report on crime over the last 25
years, which includes the graph below:
Brennan Center for Justice at NYU Law School
- All violent crime in the U.S.: Down
48% 1993 – 2012
- All homicides: Down 50.5%
- Forcible rape: Down
34.5% 1993 – 2012
- Violence Against
Children 2-17 is going
down too (and not just because we are helicoptering. Crime
is down grown men and women too, and we don’t helicopter
- Physical Assault: down
33% 2003 – 2011
- Rape, attempted or completed: down
43% 2003 – 2011
In fact, the most dangerous thing your kids can do?
RIDE IN A CAR!!
I love Lenore's informed candor about what is happening in
the world, and what you and I can do about it. Examples:
- Let your kids walk to the bus stop alone.
- Let your kids play at the playground
- Let your kids stay home unsupervised while friends are
over -- unsupervised.
- Let your kid do their own homework.